Have you ever been obsessed with jobs?
I have, and so has Frannie. Frannie, professionally known as Mrs. Frankly B. Miller, is my alter ego. She has done so many jobs and I believe she is in third grade. Some of the things that Frannie has done include:
(Guest) principal, concert planner, conference staff, fortune teller, dogsitter, radio show host, waiter, and restaurant critic. I have not read the two books where she is a flower girl and fashion designer/model. My resume reads like Frannie’s because I have done a ton of unrelated jobs. Sometimes, I wonder if I am the only one who is more into the idea of working and having a job than the job itself. The things I am passionate about, such as reading and hobbies, have never been things that most people get paid to do. I’m also not supremely talented like the people who do get paid to do those things. Yet I still really love jobs, like Frannie.
There are so many things that Frannie likes that spoke to me, including:
- She wants an office, office supplies and assistant
- She has a resumé, business card, and briefcase
- She loves words like certainly, however, nonetheless, and actually
- She gets into trouble at work because she has busy hands and a big imagination
- She has friends and sort-of friends who help her with her jobs
- She’s a very jobbish and workerish sort of person
The thing is this series was written for young kids, like second graders!!! I didn’t think that there would be little kids who are jobbish, like me. I wish I had read this when I was a kid because I would have felt so seen. I’m a real life Frannie and I love jobs so much that I cannot have just one. Some of the jobs I am trying to qualify for include:
Writer/editor – I would love to write for an online magazine like Rookie or Mochi.
Publishing firm employee – I’m going to a publishing camp this summer!
Crafter/illustrator – I’m currently working on my crafts.
Shopkeeper/shop owner – I’m working on my Etsy shop.
Besides the jobs I have given myself (lol), I have done the following jobs too:
- Retail associate @ Minamoto Kitchoan – This was a unique job that I really enjoyed, selling Japanese confectionery! I learned a lot about being detailed and meticulous.
- Receptionist – I love transferring calls and being a general help (or pain) to people.
- Elementary teacher – I did not love this job for many reasons. 😞🤢
- Admin assistant – I love being a general pain/help to people!
- Intern – I love assisting to be honest.
Oh!!! I forgot to add that I love writing emails! I hope in whatever job I have, I will get to write and answer a lot of emails and phone calls. I love old school communication. I think I would love working in a publishing firm because it’s a very office and communication type of job. In addition, I love work where you having a definite project and are producing something, such as a book, events, or house. I love all the details involved in bringing something to life and making it really polished. I also love taking care of people.
However, just like Frannie, I realized that the MOST most important part of any job is actually not the work itself but your sense of responsibility and making sure that you do right by your customers/people. This includes both the people who are paying you AND the people you are working with/for. The toughest part is making a judgment call based on not only facts but people’s feelings, urgency, and making sure that relationships are intact throughout the process. This is honestly NOT easy! It’s something that I am always working on. Nonetheless, I love jobs and hope to find one that I really love (with an office, assistant, and business card.)
What is the favorite job you’ve ever had?